Wednesday, June 26, 2013

1st email from Verona, Italy

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013


Salve da Italia!!!
Wow! I've seen and done so many things since I wrote last! So we left the MTC on tuesday of last week.  We left early tuesday morning and caught the FrontRunner to the airport.  Everything went according to plan.  We got through the gate and I was able to call my mom for the first time in a while and it was so great! While waiting at the airport I learned that Sister (Laken) Hemsley was flying on the same plane as I was to Dallas, Texas! Kind of a small and crazy world.  We flew to Dallas and then I called everyone else.  I talked to all of my family and some other special people ;) And it was so good to talk to each of them again for a bit.  We then flew a long flight to London.  It was so long and exhausting.  Our plane arrived late to London.  And we missed our plane to Milan.  But! We were able to schedule another flight later in the evening.  We got to spend some time in the London Airport.  We eventually ended up leaving London airport at 6:30 pm.  So we spent about 5 hours there in London, just wandering around the airport and occasionally trying to take a nap.  Well we did eventually make it to Milan at about 9:30 pm.  It took us forever to get out of the airport but President Wolfgramm met us there and it was awesome to see his and wife's smiling faces to greet us.  We went to a hotel, had some late night pizza and finally got to bed a little after 11:00.  I was so tired. The next day, we went to a church building in Milan where we had some orientation and we got our trainers and our first cities! My trainer's name is Anziano Lovett.  He's a pretty studly missionary.  He's been here for 2 transfers, so he's only a little less green then I am but I've already learned a lot form him.  He is very obedient to the mission rules and he works very hard.  He keeps me on my toes and he's made me exhausted.  My first city is Verona! Romeo and Juliet country! The city is very pretty.  There's lots of old architecture and especially lots of people.  We ride bikes everywhere we go. It's very hot here and I'm pretty sure I've sweated here more than I have in my whole life! It's ridiculous!  But we've talked to lots of people already.  I've already seen miracles in people's lives.  I'd like to share one story.  A man named Piero has been seeing the missionaries for I think three months now.  We visited with him the other day for the first time.  He had lots of questions but we taught a good solid lesson (by that I mean my companion and a member that we brought taught a good solid lesson).  After some talking we invited him to be baptized.  He told us he will have a hard time quitting smoking, but it sounds like he is going to make a solid effort to stop this month and possibly be baptized next month! Pretty crazy! I still don't understand a lot of what people say but you can always feel the spirit.  I haven't been able to take many pictures but today is P Day, so hopefully I can get some sent next week.  Well that's enough for this week.  Hopefully I'll have more time to share some more stories next week. And some pictures! Love you all! Vi voglio bene! Ciao!
Anziano Petterborg

                                           Cody and his trainer, Anziano Lovett.
                                                       1st day in Italy!!
                                             Outside his 1st apartment in Verona.

No comments:

Post a Comment