Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cody's second email for everyone, and this was from his last week at the MTC.
Enjoy!!

Wednesday; June 5, 2013:

Salve mie amice e famiglie!

I'm down to my last week of the MTC! I leave here on the June 11th.  We leave the MTC at 5:50 in the morning and ride the FrontRunner to the airport.  Our plane leaves at 12:30 from Salt Lake City and we have a 3 hour flight to Dallas, Texas.  In Dallas, we have a 3 hour layover until we board a plane to go London, England.  It's a 15 hour flight, I believe!  Kinda cool to be in London, but we'll only be there for an hour before we jump on a plane and have another 3 hour flight to Milan, Italy!  We will get there at about 1:30 in the afternoon.  Pretty cool!
 
I'm not sure how much my mom has shared with everyone but I'll try to update what has happened in the last 6 weeks.  Learning Italian has been very difficult! I think I shared how my companion and I told our investigator that Joseph Smith prayed in a tree house haha.  But there's been lots of other difficulties along the way.  Haha I still can't speak it very well but I suppose I will manage.  My teacher tells us that we really don't learn how to speak Italian in the MTC and that it comes when you get there and are speaking with the people.  Speaking of Italians!  Yesterday my district got to go to a Skype room and talk with real live Italians!  It was probably one of the coolest things I've done here! My companion and I talked to a teenage member over there named Pearl.  She was cool.  It surprised me because I could understand a lot of what she said!  I wondered if she was just talking really slow for us...I'm pretty sure not everyone in Italy will be that nice :)
 
Another cool thing that happened while I was here was that we got to listen to Elder Russel M. Nelson! He gave a really good talk! It was so cool to hear from an apostle! In his talk he kinda told us how we are like doctors of the soul.  People go to a doctor to fix things that hure on their body.  A doctor of the body asks, "Where does it hurt?".  As members of the church, and more specifically missionaries, we have a duty to help people with their spiritual problems.  The gospel is here to help in times of trouble and spiritual injuries.  As missionaries, we ask, "What are your hopes, dreams, and desires?" When we know how we can help, we become more effective teachers!
 
My companion's name is Anziano Baker.  He's from Saint George, Utah! He's a pretty cool guy and we get along pretty well!  He has a pretty impressive story.  His family isn't active in the church.  He grew up with friends who weren't the greatest examples and he was often exposed to drugs.  One day he told me he didn't have a testimony of The Book of Mormon and he didn't even know if it was true.  I expressed this to one of my teachers and he told me that Anziano Baker could be my first investigator.  I challenged him to go ahead and pray about The Book of Mormon even though he hadn't finished it yet.  A couple of weeks later he told me that he had prayed about it and he had a recieved a witness of his own.  It was so exciting to hear this from him! We have taught some excellent lessons and I'm gonna miss him as we go separate ways when we get to Italy.  We've had the opportunity to teach five different investigators.  Each one of them have been a different adventure haha but we've become pretty good at cave-maning our lessons haha.
 
My district is also awesome! We're basically family! We've had some good times! There are four Anziani and four Sorelle. All of them have pretty incredible stories.  Last sunday I had the opportunity to become their district leader.  That has been an adventure in itself!
 
Well that's pretty much it! Not much happens in the MTC! I'm sure I will have many more stories when I get to the field.  Well...back to work! If you have any questions feel free to email me.  I get lots of emails but I try my best to answer them.  My mom gets lots of emails and letters from me with all of my stories, so feel free to ask her too!  Alrighty! Ciao! Ci vidiamo!
 
Vi voglio bene!
-Anziano Petterborg

No comments:

Post a Comment