Wednesday, June 26, 2013

2nd email from Verona, Italy

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Well I finished my first week in the field. It's been fun! 
I think the jet lag has finally worn off! I feel much happier and much more awake!  Now I need to focus on understanding and speaking the language.  I think I learn a little bit more everyday.  It's really fun to just go around and talk to people.  They kind of give us weird looks when we come up and immediately ask them what their purpose in life is but we just smile and be friendly and that usually gets them to talk to us.My favorite people to meet with are a family who's dad just recently joined the church last transfer.  We still meet with him and he is awesome.  He has a strong belief in God and has great faith in Christ.  We are working on his son who is 9.  He comes to church everyweek and has some friends that are his age in the ward.  We will probably set a baptismal date with him sometime this week and he will be baptized by the end of this transfer.  There is also a daughter who is 7 but she turns 8 this month. We think it would be so cool to these two cute kids baptized on the same day.  The mom tells us that she is content with not being baptized but we really hope that she will see the inportance of this ordinance soon and have a desire to be baptized also.  She is very happy with her family's decision to go to church and be baptized though.  She has seen the happiness that comes from the gospel.  She came to church this last week.  It was so awesome to see this whole family sitting together in sacrament as a family.  We hope that as we expose this sweet lady to the spirit more she will want to be baptized one day as well.    This past week our ward had a Culture Night.  It was fun! Everyone brought a dish that represented where they're from.  You'd be surprised at how many South American members there are and African members also.  You'll be happy to hear that I represented Idaho very well! I made some delicious potatos haha! But every dish there was very good and it was fun to talk with members in a more casual setting.  Me and my companion talked a lot with some little kids in the ward.  Haha they're so fun to listen to.  I usually can't understand what they're saying but they don't care.  All I gotta do is smile and nod haha.  They speak Italian better than I do and it's just awesome.Last P-Day we were able to do some sight seeing.  We went to Piazza Bra.  There is cool mini coloseum thing that is very cool! I think they just call it the Arena.  We also went and saw the house of Juliet and the statue there and also the wall of love.  It was cool...but very touristy.  We spent some more time in this central area of a city.  I got to eat a Kebab for the first time and it was soo good! I also got some gellato...not my first time but still it was yummy.  Luckily all of this stuff is close to my apartment.  We walked through a mall sort of thing and saw some different buildings that have some cool artistry on them.  I hope all is well back in the United States!  It's sure fun over here! Well until next week! Ci sentiamo! Ciao!
-Anziano Petterborg




A Kebob. (Whatever that is!) Yum!!!

Cody and his companion at a marketplace.


No comments:

Post a Comment